You know you are living in a city when the area is never quiet.... In fact I thought I was living in a quiet neighbourhood, but it seems you can be wrong! Being the summer, the air is filled with the noise of screaming..
..
..
..
SWIFTS!
(Wiki ref and they also feature on a musical track too... see I&T for more information)
Daylight is filled with these wonderful screaming creatures, and sleeping with the window open you wake to them too. I love watching their aerial acrobatics in search of insect prey and the knowledge that they have to drop from a perch to gain flight, they can't just take off from the ground. In fact I have several certainly roosting and possibly nesting in the building opposite, winging their way into a small hole at high speed at dusk. I guess not all the urban noise is artificial.
So off I wander into the countryside at the weekend, for a walk, an explore and possibly some peace and quiet....? Nope, large crickets/Egyptian grasshoppers? fill the air with their churring from trees and reportedly you can hear each one from a couple of kilometres away. Frankly I wouldn't like to comment because every 50 m of so another one is calling from the next tree. The only time they seem to stop is when your presence is perceived and then they are as still as possible to hide their location!
Who said it was hard to observe nature and that you had to get away from it all?
Step outside tomorrow morning and search the air for the sickle-shaped wings and then listen for the screams..
..
..
..
SWIFTS!
(Wiki ref and they also feature on a musical track too... see I&T for more information)
Daylight is filled with these wonderful screaming creatures, and sleeping with the window open you wake to them too. I love watching their aerial acrobatics in search of insect prey and the knowledge that they have to drop from a perch to gain flight, they can't just take off from the ground. In fact I have several certainly roosting and possibly nesting in the building opposite, winging their way into a small hole at high speed at dusk. I guess not all the urban noise is artificial.
So off I wander into the countryside at the weekend, for a walk, an explore and possibly some peace and quiet....? Nope, large crickets/Egyptian grasshoppers? fill the air with their churring from trees and reportedly you can hear each one from a couple of kilometres away. Frankly I wouldn't like to comment because every 50 m of so another one is calling from the next tree. The only time they seem to stop is when your presence is perceived and then they are as still as possible to hide their location!
Who said it was hard to observe nature and that you had to get away from it all?
Step outside tomorrow morning and search the air for the sickle-shaped wings and then listen for the screams..

I wish all animals would wake-up at 10 am :-]
ReplyDelete