As I have been growing up people have always talked about So'n'So being a morning person or an evening person - commonly known as Larks or Owls. I have also met the odd Nightingale as they shall now be called who spend more of the day sleeping than awake!
Walking into the office this morning at some ungodly hour (it was still dark..) I was struck by the fact that personally I am quite capable of adapting to suit the situation. Maybe the shift work on ships has helped but I can enjoy the day just as much when I get up early late, or even at Midnight.. This led me onto thinking that the labelling of a person is probably more down to their habits than actually when they can physically work better. It is possible that a certain time of day does suit some people, but how did they get to that situation in the first place? Is it simply being used to getting up at a certain time and then switching on mentally so-many-hours after that?
All in all I would suggest that your habits dictate the way you are. Anyone can be anything if they put their mind to it. Otherwise an owl would become a lark when working on the Western Seaboard of the US rather than London... Maybe it is simply conformity which results in our daily lives fitting around others and the working day.
When would you like to work/get up/have your free time? Give yourself a couple of weeks to adapt (just like jet-lag) and you can. Go on, go for it! ;) That is what flexi-time is for.
(This posting is brought to you by PhD-writeup-distractions.sea.sci.swampea)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment