For much of the day England coped well and scored slowly without losing much ground. However towards the end my work suffered tremendously listening intently to TMS and watching the BBC live text for an alternate view.
Frankly an awful lot of emotion expended staring vacantly at a computer screen. I don't think however that I was the only one (quotes from the live text):
From Paul, Spain, TMS inbox: "There's a junction outside my flat. In the middle of it is a piece of metal attached to a pole, advising drivers where each road will take them. I think it could be a sign."
From Adam in Lancs, TMS inbox: "I don't know about Paul, but avidly following live text this afternoon is definitely lowering the standard of IT Support I'm currently providing."
"Any naysayers predicting the demise of Test cricket, eat humble pie. No one-day game can produce this level of tension. Mesmerising stuff."
"My boss has just told me I can go home. Never thought I would say this, but not a chance."
To quote my discussion with a friend through the last over:
Martin says:
*6 balls, one wicket...
*5
*"a seagull lands close and wonders what all the fuss is about" Aggers again
*4
*3
*2
*whoop whoop!
*Reviewing the penultimate ball, the commentary team think his missed the bouncer..
*NOT OUT :D:D:D
*One ball left
*hard work listening...
*WE WINNNNNNNN!!!! Onions does it again!!!
*Whooooopie!!!!!
Around the UK great scenes of joy... as England DREW the match! Some people will never understand the fascination of Cricket!
"And Onions has reduced the South Africans to tears... That would normally be too awful a joke to make but I am dancing round the office with my shirt over my head - my judgement has clearly been compromised!"
Cambridge Library: "Just leaped out of my seat in celebration, headphones all over the place, seat flung backwards, and looked straight into the eyes of a woman utterly bewildered. Doubt she expected this on Level 5 North Wing, home of Arabic literature."
What an afternoon! Back to finishing that PhD....

You summed it up nicely, Martin!
ReplyDeleteAnd in our office,
Me: "No, Bell's gone!"
Non-cricketing colleague: "If the bell's gone, can we go home?"